Wednesday 14 April 2010

Six days?.. but when does day mean day?

I find the whole 6 days vs 'other' when it comes to creation interesting. Now I say that for different reasons. Firstly I find it intriguing in an intellectual capacity, but am aware that too much pondering can err dangerously close to philosophising about life, the universe and everything. The answers are in scripture plain and simple.


'Ah! Yes, but' many would say is six days really six days? Or is it 6 Yom (undefined periods of time)? Or does it matter? Should we worry about it? Well yes. And no.

Here lies the second element of intrigue - exegesis. Exegesis is to draw out the meaning of the text. It comes from the verb exago (or ex-ag'-o, or even eÍca/gw) which means literally 'to lead out' (taken from 'Basic Greek and Exegesis' by Richard B Ramsey). There are numerous translations for this in the KJV there are 13 times it is used - these vary from 'bring forth' to 'bring out' also 'fetch out' and 'lead out'. So what is the correct way to use exegesis? Online definition of Exago

Staunch 6 day-ers (24 hr periods) will say that the correct exegesis of the word 'Yom' (OT Hebrew) means day and day alone in Genesis 1. Others will point out that 'Yom' used elsewhere in the OT can mean any of the following dependent on context - time; year; age; ago; always; season. chronicles; continually; ever and evermore. Online definition of Yom Confusing eh?

The only way of settling this in one's own mind is to actually know and understand Hebrew and New Testament Greek... but even then one would still need to apply exegesis 'correctly'. So the confusion remains as long as people argue the context.

Personally I roll with 6 literal days when it comes to creation and anyone who knows me knows I'm always right (cue rolled eyes and groans). Other interpretations can only fall closely in line with evolutionary theories and discredit in some way the possibility that God can or did make the world and universe in 6 x 24 hour periods (in my opinion).

Either way, one thing is sure - the universe is of unimaginable proportions and how man can have the arrogance ever to think that we come within a million light years of understanding it or how it came to be is frightening. One look at the attached pictures should really make us stand back and consider the awesome nature of space and our inability to grasp what eternity is. This is largely why scientists limit the size of the universe and give it an 'edge'. You can find all the originals here.


In this last picture our sun would be one pixel in size!!!!
There are much more detailed and deeper arguments that can be presented about this topic - these are just my Wednesday morning musings and haven't been too thoroughly researched, so don't label me a heretic or dimwit for any errors please. It made my brain itch enough just looking at the pictures. 

5 comments:

  1. Good morning, Da'i G Bear!

    Your blog came up in my Google Alerts this week. Google incorrectly identified it as a reference to my own blog, Hiraeth. A Google blunder has become a serendipitous joy!

    I have loved reading through so many of your posts--they are thoughtful and candid and, oh yes! I sense the same Hiraeth in your posts that tugs at my heart!

    I've been blogging for nearly 5 years and honestly, my poor blog has been suffering from neglect for the past few months, but I invite you to visit me at mine.

    I shall surely be back to visit you!

    Blessings,
    Kim from Hiraeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dai' G Bear!

    I left a comment earlier but it didn't seem to register.

    I came across your blog through a serendipitous misdirection and I am so delighted I did! I've read many of your posts and find them to be inspiring, challenging, and inspirational. My own blog is named Hiraeth, and I really do get the sense of longing in your posts!

    I've subscribed and will be an enthusiastic reader!

    Blessings,
    Kim from Hiraeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim, I've had a look at your site also and freatly appreciate the comments and recommendations! I'll put a link to your site on here, glad to have heard from a fellow Hiraeth-ist :)

    DM Lloyd Jones was from just round the corner from where I grew up and my grandfather attended his church in Port Talbot... so he's certainly well qualified to explain 'Hiraeth'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim, I've had a look at your site also and greatly appreciate the comments and recommendations! I'll put a link to your site on here, glad to have heard from a fellow Hiraeth-ist :)

    DM Lloyd Jones was from just round the corner from where I grew up and my grandfather attended his church in Port Talbot... so he's certainly well qualified to explain 'Hiraeth'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post bro. My only point of disagreement would be your comment that "Other interpretations can only fall closely in line with evolutionary theories". I'd have to take issue with that, if by evolutionary theories you mean Darwinian/macro-evolutionary theories. In fact there is a range of 'day-age' or 'old earth' approaches to Genesis 1. Some do, indeed, understand that there has been a degree of macro-evoution (progressive creationism, biologos etc.) but others are very clear that they accept an old universe but no macro-evolution of any kind (e.g. our mate Wayne Grudem!)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete