Monday 9 May 2011

Psalm 40: 3 and 4 - Part 1

Ok here is the first part of the third study in Psalm 40, concentrating on verses 3 and 4. The other studies can be found here.

Again I'd recommend reading the first 8 verses at least. You can do so here.

Psalm 40: 3 – 4


“And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.”

Context

• Recalling the first verse David had cried out to the Lord in his distress, we saw that this reflected the prayers too of the Lord Jesus at Gethsemane and our own yearning for God’s ear. We also saw the certainty of God’s inclination to us.

• The second verse gave a context to the sinners cry and Jesus’ calling and lifting us from the pit, establishing a safe and solid footing on Him, the rock, and our direction after we have been cleansed of the sticky, cloying mud of sin.

• We then saw how in our pilgrimage to that city on the hill we sometimes stray from the solid path and get ourselves dirtied again. But faithfully we are picked up, replaced on the path of faith and washed in the blood of the lamb anew.

• So we arrive here at verse 3 with a picture of repentance, salvation and the first steps of our sanctifying journey to Zion. We cried from the pit, Jesus picks us up pulls from the mire. He establishes our direction and we set off up that hill to the heavenly mansion Jesus has gone to prepare for us.

In the following verses then we will look at:

1. The song.

2. The witness

3. The trust

__________________________________________________________________________________

The New Song

“And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."

So what is the new song? The new song is seen and heard throughout scripture. It is the song the saved soul cannot help but sing, that he cannot forget and every time he hears it, it brings such peace and joy. The song is salvation. It is trust and strength in the Lord. It is faith and love and hope in Jesus’ saving grace.

It is Moses’ song of salvation we see in Exodus 15 after the Lord delivered Israel from the Egyptians and from Egypt itself. This is s perfect foreshadowing of the individual salvation Jesus Christ has afforded each believer.

Exodus 15: 1 - 2 “Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.”

This song is indelible. It becomes a part of us; it is impressed deeply into our souls and reflects our creative purpose – to worship. God’s Genesis design was for Man to have fellowship with and praise and worship Him. When we are saved, when we come to knowledge of His saving grace we cannot but thanks, praise and worship Him in fellowship with Him.

Paul puts is very simply in Galatians 2: 20 (possibly my favourite verse). ”I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

Christ indeed is the new song on our lips. We no longer sing the funeral dirge of the condemned sinner, stuck in the pit. Instead we have a hymn, a psalm which lifts and encourages. A song of hope and praise. A song which will be repeated in Glory:

Revelation 15: 3 “And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.”

It is a song the prophets sang also.

Isaiah 12: 2 “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.”

Habakkuk 3: 18, 19 “Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.”

It is undeniable. The song we should sing, the song we will sing is one of the Lord as our strength and our salvation. When we are weak, then we are strong... but only through Him. Through Christ Jesus our Lord and Saviour. The Word is in our hearts and that is the driving force behind the song, the new song.

So in our salvation our hearts are filled with this new song. The new song is Jesus. He is our strength. He is our salvation. As in Moses’ song we will ‘prepare Him an habitation’. His dwelling place is our penitent, sinner’s heart. Where Jesus moves in and washes the dross away. Making a clean habitation, a place fit for King Jesus to live and reign in.

So let Jesus reign, let His song fill your heart and emanate from your mouth, your manner, your actions, your very being.

Remember it is Christ who liveth in you!

You can listen to a recording of the whole of the study on Psalm 40: 3 - 4 presented by yours truly here.

No comments:

Post a Comment