Saturday 18 September 2010

Romans 5:1... one more time!

I had some interesting feedback from the blogs I posted about Romans 5:1, generally positive... which was annoying as I prefer criticism on such things as they make me re-scrutinise what I've written. I did have a comment passed about my post on 'Peace with God'. In it I talked about God's hate of sin. It seems that when I commented that God could not sin as we knew it (actual quote was: "He cannot hate as we understand the word, for to hate is to sin") it was taken to mean that God doesn't hate. Well He does, which is why I then added the example of Hoeksema's 'Holy NO'.

In hindsight maybe I should have described His hate as one that we cannot know, as our understanding is of hate is sinful. The Almighty has a divine, Holy, wrathful hate that is utterly just and pure... not something we can fully, truly appreciate.

I hope that clears up any confusion on that matter. I endeavour to make my posts clear and theologically sound, but am aware that I will frequently muddle my thoughts and consequently perhaps not do my biblical opinion justice.

But on with Romans 5:1 once again. I was greatly reassured that having written the posts without commentary support and having (in all honesty) just written them off the cuff, that on listening to a Peter Jeffery sermon (listen to the one titled 'Peace') on the verse and reading the chapter on the verse in 'Righteous by Faith Alone' (Herman Hoeksema) I had covered in brief many of their points. Just not quite as eloquently!

However, as is often the case, in hindsight I realised that perhaps I'd missed a massive amount out! In writing the posts I knew that there was so much more in each that could've been added. But then you'd have been reading a 45 page blog... not a habit I'll try and fall into.

But as I read Mr Hoeksema's chapter last night something was highlighted that Peter Jeffery had touched on and perhaps I hadn't.

We are either condemned in our sin or justified. Or we are either guilty or not guilty. There is no sliding scale of righteousness for that impending court case. We cannot be semi-righteous, or semi-condemned. We are of one condition or the other. In the case of the Christian of course what cause for praise and celebration there is in our new found legal position before the Lord!


But it gets better. Once declared 'not guilty', once we have been justified, no other charge can be brought to us. Consequently the position cannot be reversed; we cannot return to the dock and be found guilty. This is because when the gavel fell in judgement of our souls (or will) the great Judge doesn't just pronounce us 'not guilty'. He brings down the hammer and to our relief the words 'not guilty' are issued forth, but this is followed without hesitation by the gavel pointed at us and we are affirmed as 'righteous'! (James R Hamilton can take credit for this illustration).

For that court date our legal intercessor the Lord Jesus Christ has laid out his finest of clothes for us to wear. Gleaming and perfectly tailored they cover our filthy rags and as we stand in the dock the divine judge sees us as guiltless, adopted heirs and children. We cannot be found guilty... cannot! A perfect legal representation and promises by the Lord Jesus ensure it!


I know I may seem to be labouring the point Christian, but isn't justification a wonderful word? I want to have it tattooed on my forehead sometimes! 'Justified'. Tattoo aside surely our witness, language, demeanour, countenance and soul should shout to all who know us - 'bought and paid for'. And if anyone wants to check that the purchase is valid - the receipts can be found in the bible!


One of which, funnily enough can be found in Romans 5:1... regardless of the version!


"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ," (NIV)"

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (KJV)

"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." (ESV)

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ," (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment