Thursday 4 March 2010

Music vs Sermons

Too much music and not enough sermons, that sums up this week's drive time to and from work... I have to admit to indulging in some heavyweight steering wheel thumping and head nodding to Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Fortunate Son' as well as some Gospel favourites.

.
There is a sense of irony in Creedence's title, as being an adopted son in the family of Christ I truly am fortunate! Funnily enough I've just had a quick browse through my playlists to see what else I've been listening to and come across Embrace's 'Glorious day' and Coldplay's 'God put a smile upon your face'. Strange but true. Or maybe not strange, but strangely true.

.
Anyway, as usual I have erred from my point... which I have yet to make. Following yesterday's excessively vocal tribute to Grampa's fave 'How Great Thou Art' I threw myself into the sightly more contemporary realms of Stuart Townsend (though my ipod informs me it is 'Townend'?!??!) and 'In Christ Alone'. I have to admit to balking slightly at some contemporary Christian music. I find it sometimes tries to contrive emotion in its presentation and performance rather than let the words speak for themselves. I don't get teary eyed at a guy with a beard strumming a guitar passionately (at least not for the right reasons). However, the doctrinal truth and well worded description of saving grace of some hymns and choruses does punch certain emotions straight in the face. Mr Town(s)end does this oh so well with 'In Christ Alone'. I apologise if it isn't of his writing and apologise if it is... and I didn't know. Here's why I like it so much:

.
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.
.
.
In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.
.
.
There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.
.
.
No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.
.
.
Well there you go. A huge overhand right straight in the emotional and spiritual kisser. Read it and weep as they say... literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment